Founded in 1958, St. John United Methodist Church is a spiritually growing community of faith, believing and practicing Christ’s words, “Love One Another”, in order to bring glory to God.
March 31, 1958
A survey was conducted in the Underwood-Petersville area by Rev. James E. Harris and the Wesley Foundation and Florence State College. Nine families indicated an interest in starting a new Methodist church in the community.
Organizational meetings of this new church were held in the homes of Mr. and Mrs. Van Irons, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas E. Jones, and Mr. and Mrs. Fred Stevens. Rev. H.C. (Jack) Hendricks was appointed minister of this new church. The name chosen for this new Methodist church was St. John.
June 1, 1958
Our first worship service was held in a rented garage across from Underwood School. 43 people were in attendance.
St. John completed the first of three educational buildings. Worship and Sunday School classes were held here.
The second educational building was completed in January 1960, and worship services were moved to this building. In the fall, the third educational building was completed.
1965 – 1966
On February 14, 1965, open house was held for the new sanctuary. Over 400 people were in attendance. In the Spring and Summer of 1965, the construction of our parsonage began, and it was completed in June of 1966.
The Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren Church merged to form The United Methodist Church. As such, the new name for St. John Methodist Church was St. John United Methodist Church.
In June 1990, the church parking lot paving was completed by our “Unsung Heroes”. In the afternoon of Sunday, December 30, 1990, our church sustained over $20,000 in damage from a tornado.
1993 – 1994
On August 1, 1993, a Groundbreaking Ceremony was held for our Christian Life Center. A dedication service for our Christian Life Center was held on October 9, 1994.
We invite you to join us for worship!